THE BRAIDED BUN-HAWK
Some iconic looks will never go out of style, and the rebellious expressions of punk are no exception- even the most current on-trend wardrobes still contain punk-rock staples like Converse sneakers, distressed jeans and statement T’s. So why not let your hair make a riotous statement as well? From the Aveda Institute Winnipeg, student stylist Stacy Plaza teaches us how to create a pretty take on the classic punk Mohawk with a Braided Bun-Hawk that’s sure to turn heads (with no shaving or school glue required). Reformed riot girls, this one’s for you!
1) Start by curling your hair. A casual/messy look works well with this style.
2) Spritz with Air Control Hairspray to give hold and create grit.
3) Section hair horizontally into 3 sections.
*PRO TIP: Make sure the bottom section is larger than the top 2 sections as there is less hair at the nape of the neck.
4) Put each section into a loose ponytail, fastening with elastics.
5) Braid each ponytail individually and secure with elastics.
6) To make each braid wider and more flat, start from the bottom and pull lightly at each section of hair moving up the braid. (You may need to repeat this to achieve your desired look).
7) Wrap each braid in a circle and secure your braided bun in place with bobby pins.
8) Repeat this step so all three buns align vertically down the center.
9) Pull at small pieces of hair along the sides and top of your hair using Control Paste in order to give a more undone and messy look to the style.
10)Finish with a final application of Air Control Hair Spray.
“ This look is perfect for those 2nd or 3rd no-wash days. Simple and easy to create on your own, you can rock this look at the office and continue throughout the night for wine night with the girls!”
-Stacy Plaza, July 2017 class, Aveda Institute Winnipeg
· Flat Iron/Curling Iron
· Bobby Pins
· Aveda Air Control Hairspray
· Aveda Control Paste
Follow Stacy on Instagram @hairbyskp