SALON / FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We like people who ask questions. It’s one of the qualities that has made us a pioneering brand with exceptional educators! We want you to have all the information you need to make the best decision for your hair. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we receive from new guests just like you!
· Q: Do you take walk-ins?
Yes - We love walk-ins! However, we always recommend booking in advance.
Our talented students and stylists work hard to fill their books every day. If you have a specific day or time in mind, be sure to call in advance to secure a spot. We don’t want anyone to miss out on their appointment of choice. Remember that you can always make changes if you need to.
· Q: What are the different "levels" of student or stylist in the salon? How much training do they have?
- Institute Students have little to no previous experience before coming to our school. They are in the process of learning the fundamental skills of hair dressing, including cutting, styling, colour, highlighting and other technical services.
- Academy Students (Toronto and Vancouver only) have completed a hairstyling diploma program, are registered apprentices, or are fully licensed stylists looking to refine their skills and build their confidence. Levels of experience vary, but everyone in the Academy program has at least 9 months of experience behind them.
- Educators in Training are new stylists with at least 9 months of experience. They are training to become Aveda Educators, and pass along their skills and passion to the next generation of hairstylists.
- Educators are fully licensed stylists who have completed their Aveda Educator training and are now taking on classes of their own! Educators have at least two years of experience behind them.
· Q: Why am I not able to book appointments with students for the whole year in advance?
Great question! The Aveda Institutes are not like other salons. Because most of our stylists are either students or educators, their schedule depends on their progress with their education! It's important to us that we are building schedules that support the development of our students. Schedules are built a few months at a time as students progress through the program to make sure that we are allowing them the time they need to properly learn the skills they are developing, as well as provide quality services to their guests.
· Q: Are your schools wheelchair accessible?
Yes! However, due to the heritage status of our buildings, the upper floors of the building are stair-access only - there are no elevators. Please contact us in advance regarding any accessibility questions or concerns, which we will make every attempt to accommodate!
· Q: Can I leave a tip for a student stylist?
Yes! Gratuities are welcome for all students and stylists at the Aveda Institute! Please note that tips can only be made in cash - not on credit card or debit payments while you cash out. You can receive cash back from our front line team if you need it!
If you'd like to leave a tip:
- Give the cash directly to your student or stylist at the end of your service before you cash out
- Upon cash out, let our front line team know that you'd like to leave a tip. They'll provide you with an envelope.
- Enclose your cash tip in the envelope, writing your stylist's name - and your name - on the front.
- Seal the envelope and give it to our front line team. They will place it in the locked box where tips are stored.
- Students and stylists receive their tips from the Director who holds the key to the lock box.
· Q: What is your cancellation policy?
Our students depend on guest appointments for the practice they need to strengthen their skills. We understand that things can come up at the last minute, so as often as possible we ask that all guests provide at least 24 hours’ notice for cancellations.
Repeated last minute cancellations may require pre-payment for future bookings.
· Q: Why are all of your prices “starting at”?
There are a few things that dictate the price of a service. When it comes to haircuts, prices depend on the level of the stylist/student. The more experience they have, the higher the price point.
For colour, highlights, colour correction, and other technical services, the price depends on a few things: the level of the stylist/student, the amount of product needed to achieve the desired look, and the amount of time you’ll need to be in your stylist/student’s chair.
· Q: Why aren't you able to quote final pricing over the phone?
At the Aveda Institutes, the integrity of your hair is very important to us! We want to make sure that before we tell you how much a service will cost (and how long it will take to complete) we have seen the condition of your hair, and made sure that the services you want are safe for you!
Consultations are completely complimentary and can be done any time during our hours of operation. For your convenience, please contact our Guest Services team to see when a good time to stop by would be so you don't have to wait for too long!
· Q: What if I'm not able to come for a consultation before my appointment?
Of course we understand that not everyone is able to pop in before booking an appointment! We want to provide you with the highest level of service, so consultations are provided at the beginning of every appointment (with every level of stylist). This way, you and your stylist can discuss what you are looking to achieve, how we can help you make that happen, and exactly what to expect.
· Q: Why do some services with some students/stylists take so long?
Student stylists take longer than experienced professional stylists to achieve the high quality services our guests are used to because they're still in the middle of the learning process. Check-ins with their educator may be required throughout an appointment as well (depending on where they are in their program).
In order to have the best experience with a student stylist make sure to confirm the duration of your appointment at booking and be prepared to accommodate the full service time you've been quoted.
· Q: Why are your Educators or Educators in Training sometimes not available for services?
Aveda Educators and Educators in Training are not only talented stylists, but dedicated teachers! Sometimes their support is needed in the classroom more than on the salon floor, and during those times their service days may be limited.
We encourage guests to talk with their stylist about recommendations for follow up care while they are not available.
· Q: What is a "natural texture blow dry"?
We want you to leave every appointment feeling beautiful!
All colour/highlight and other technical services with students include this blow-dry. Students will use Aveda product, a flat brush/comb, and dry hair to it's natural state.
If you prefer your hair styled with a round brush, flat ironed, curled, braided, etc - please let our guest services team know at the time of booking. They will let you know if any additional time/cost will be associated with your appointment based on how far along that students is in their education!
· Q: What happens if I'm not completely satisfied with the outcome of my service?
Our goal is to provide every guest with the level of service they have come to expect from an Aveda salon, so please let us know as soon as you can if you have any concerns about the services you've been provided with us!
We appreciate that sometimes it might feel uncomfortable to tell a stylist that you’re not 100% satisfied with their work. Part of the learning process for our students is how to communicate with guests when things don’t go as planned, and how to correct a service properly.
We’ll do everything we can to help make it right.